- There are 10 kids in this class
- They are in their PYP Exhibition year at our school
- It is their first year in this type of environment
- This is a self contained class but they will move to a more open concept environment next year when they move to the secondary building
- It's a 1-1 iPad classroom
I was surprised how hushed and purposeful the vibe in this class often is. I wondered if this sort of environment would lead to unfocused behaviour. However, it almost had a productive office feel to it. Groups working together, then breaking off to work at their desks...reconnecting as needed. However, I imagine a child with special learning needs such as ADD/HD may have difficulty. Yet...those desks can isolate students when needed. I suppose the only real difference between this and a more traditional classroom are the desks, but I think they do make a big impact.
Anyway, there it is! I would be curious to hear your thoughts and questions. The teacher of this classroom really enjoys it, she feels the students have "risen to the environment" and that they would behave differently (not badly, just differently) with more traditional desks. I wouldn't want these desks for my Grade 2 class, but I would definitely want those sofas!